Friday, October 23, 2009

EPISTLE: Regarding Some Political Activities by Late Sumitro Djojohadikusumo


-- Witnessed--


It is just human people made mistakes in considering someone’s ability judging purely from the outlook only. This experience I came across when came in close contact with the famous economic Wizard late Prof. Sumitro Djojohadikusumo. I really did not meet Prof. Sumitro before. I only knew him through newspapers. I came in contact with him accidentally by chance, at the late fifties when Indonesia faced political and military turmoil. That eruption almost brought the republic of Indonesia into pieces. In Jakarta political leaders are being detained, suddenly newspapers throughout Indonesia covered the daring evacuation of Prof. Sumitro taking along his old father and mother, his wife, four children’s (two girls and two boys) via west Java through provinces of Sumatera to Singapore. In the mean time the situation in the outer islands were getting worse, Colonel Simbolon declared north Sumatera free from the central government, west Sumatera declared Colonel Ahmad Husein as their military leader. At the late fifties there was a meeting held among Col. Simbolon, Col. Ahmad Husein and Col. Ventje Sumual and attended also by political leaders. Prof. Sumitro whose family was already settled safely in Singapore joined also the meeting in Sungai Dareh a small place in east Sumatera. After the meeting each military leader made his military command a self-structural identity.

So existed the PRRI/Permesta. After the meeting in Sungei Dareh, Prof.Sumitro joined the vessel which brought Colonel Sumual and company visited Permesta (North Sulawesi). In the mean time Bitung (North Sulawesi) became a busy harbor caused by Ocean going vessel ferrying consumer goods and left with cargo of copra and rubber exported to Singapore by PRRI-PERMESTA. At one of these occasions opened the opportunity getting in contact with the famous economic wizard unpurposely. While I came from Singapore each of us on board a vessel. The late professor heading for Singapore at the height of Basilan Island (Philippines) our two vessels passing each other, suddenly a cable from Prof. Sumitro directed to Mr.J.M.J Pantouw (Nun) came in, the same time I replied that the person concerned was still abroad. I identified myself and will visit him at my next trip to Singapore.

I was overwhelmingly happy meeting the well-known ex. Minister of economy. I frequently visited him and get acquainted to each other. One day Prof. called me by phone and instructed me to get ready joining him. At the appointed hour I was already at the place of rendezvous. He explained his endeavor of activities and the destination of our trip. Waiting for the time of departure he uttered his disappointment towards a group of Americans who right from the beginning paid too much attention to Col. Simbolon and Col. Ahmad Husein and neglected Permesta. There was no coordination there in Sumatera Militarily must be fought on the hills of north Sulawesi. Sumatera must be attended politically. And Professor Sumitro added an ocean going vessel-carrying full of consumer goods sent to Sumatera was detained by Indonesian Navy. The Indonesian Navy confiscated a yacht used by people of Col. Ahmad Husein also. We had to visit Taiwan so that the group of Americans would change their view. So at midnight we made a move to the old Singapore airport where a DC Dakota was ready to carry us. As soon after boarding we were airborne. We flew directly from Singapore to Taipei capital city of Taiwan. We arrived at dawn using no ID papers (passport and visa). This country was at state of war. The authorities at the airport were strict but polite. We were detained for almost one hour. Unexpectedly Mr. Jan Walandouw appeared at the scene and we may leave and stayed at his residence in Taipei. After complete rest the honorable late Generalissimos Chang Kai Check invited us but instead the eldest son, the late General Chang Ching Kuo, received us. The meeting lasted for about one hour. The message was out root communism; late Mr. Jan Walandouw and myself accompanied Prof. Sumitro at that opportunity. The General sent a personal message to Col. Sumual through Prof. Sumitro.

The next day after the meeting with the General, a PBY plane full of weapons carried us to Manado, Mr. Jan Walandouw stayed behind. The plane had no seat and was fully loaded with weapons so we have to lay down on the weapons for estimating 13 hours. The flight to Manado was about 13 hours, at arrival in Manado we were welcomed by Taiwanese fighter planes. There were no American fighters yet. A few American fighters just arrived two days after our arrival in Manado. The whole trip from Taiwan to Manado we were served coffee, Chinese bread and fruit. We received this “meal” before we boarded the PBY plane. At Philippines territorial water the plane had to fly at low sea level avoiding detection by radar. At arrival in Manado Prof. Sumitro conveyed the message of General Chiang Ching Kuo to Col. Sumual. We stayed for two days in Manado. The morning before we return to Singapore a big accident happened. An American fighter plane which supposed to go for the first mission of hunting Jakarta fighter planes ( 13 April 1956) hit a tree and exploded. We arrived suavely back in Singapore. At certain time after arrival from Manado back in Singapore Prof. Instructed me to arrange a crew for a one thousand ton of an ex. Gunboat nicely renovated in a cargo vessel. After completion of papers and crew I reported to Prof. that the vessel was ready for sailing. Prof asked me to accompanied him to inspect the readiness of the vessel. After inspection the vessel left Singapore for Tiawan at the same evening.

In Taiwan the vessel was fully loaded with weapons and discharged the cargo safely in north Sulawesi. Later a Jakarta fighter plane intercepted this vessel. Starved and grounded at sea off Bolaang Mongondouw, north Sulawesi. In his efforts supporting the opposition against the old regime Prof. Sumitro lost one nice yacht and 1000 toner cargo vessel nevertheless Prof. never became discouraged. He moved his family from Singapore but Prof. himself stayed back at Singapore. I continue visiting him and reported to him and I asked for his advice. For instance the meeting between Colonels. Kawilarang and Col. Worang who was persuaded by Col. Kawilarang to leave Jakarta and join Permesta. The meeting developed in a furious debate. I reported this to Prof. He advised me to convey to late Col. Worang that his stay in Jakarta could be more helpful for our people than his joining Permesta. I received a message from Col. Warouw instructed to arrange five pilots of Garuda whose names already known to cross over to Taiwan and operating from Taiwan attacking target in Indonesia. Prof. and me were of the opinion that this idea was unworkable. These pilots were more useful as middlemen or courier. Several months after our arrival in Singapore from Manado we received our first blow against our freedom of movement in Singapore. The Singapore government arranged her general election, which was won by Mr. Lee Kuan Yew’s party; Mr. Lee Kuan Yew became the prime minister. He formed a government, which was very friendly to the late president Soekarno. The following year the American pilot by the name of Allan Pope was shot down by Jakarta fighter plane. In a second the American pilots and from Taiwan too deserted the airport of Manado. We moved to Kuala Lumpur by arrangement of Mr. Des Alwi. We received a permanent stay throughout Malaysia.

One day I received a phone call in Kuala Lumpur from Prof. Sumitro, he asked me to meet him. As soon as we met each other, he told me that he met Mr. Muharto who just came out from the jungle of Minahasa with a letter from Col. Kawilarang stating that no inch of the territory had been lost and no single hardware had been surrendered. It was just to breath in for fresh air. What they needed were weapons. Prof. had arranged with a certain quarter but there must be somebody who must contact Col. Kawilarang or Col. Somba. So I explained to Prof I was ready to leave anytime, Prof. asked how much money I needed for the trip. I calculated roughly US. $. 20.000. Prof. Sumitro gave me a letter for someone from whom I had to collect the money. With the letter I proceeded meeting the person concerned. In short I was asked how much money I needed for this undertaking. I repeated the sum I needed of US. $. 20.000. - In short he briefed me for a place pinpointed for passing by each other’s car at five o’clock p.m. sharp. No minute early or one minute later. And most important I had to keep the windows of the car open. So at five o’clock sharp the two cars passing each other, at that time I heard something fell at the back seat of my car. I drove straight back to report to Prof that I was in possession of the needed sum of money. After reporting I went to the airport leaving for Manila. I stayed one night at San Francis hotel in Manila. The next morning I left for Zamboanga (southern Philippines) at arrival a speedboat was waiting for me ready carrying me to the coast of the Minahasa area. Before departure from Kuala Lumpur Mr. Muharto briefed me that Permesta controlled the western coastal area of Minahasa. My mission was solely meeting Col. Kawilarang and Col. Somba had to prepare a beachhead where the weapons they were asking for could be supplied at the established coast. It seems that the so-called captain of the speedboat made a miscalculation of the speed. Instead of arriving at sunset we were in the waters of Minahasa in the afternoon so we had to slow down keeping the boat drifting. We were at the waters of Manado. At sunset we were heading a place called Tanahwangko. At the coast we notice a big naval transport vessel was stranded carrying full load of ammunition. That was why we escaped the danger of being shot. At the coast it was full of light, nothing happened to us. They did not shoot at us. Indeed a patrol boat was chasing us but we escaped entering a river. We penetrated deeper inland and together with the captain of the boat we observed the situation. At noon we were starved by a gunboat but were covered by trees and bushes. By noon we continued our observation trip. We did not meet a single Permesta soldier. Further inland we met a few people who advised us to leave this place; Permesta has been driven back to the hills by Jakarta troops. At the very moment there was a meeting for a peace settlement at the village of Woloan near Tomohon.

So there was no other choice left than to look for safety. Returning to the place where our speedboat was hidden we made preparations for escape by midnight. At midnight we were driven the boat into the sea. In the beginning we did not dare to start the engine but kept paddling until we were far from the coast. With full speed we coursed to the waters of Sangihe Talaud. We were chased by gunboat and patrol boats but after a few hours we were saved at Philippines waters. We went to the island of Bungow (southern Philippines) we further crossed over to Tawau (Sabah, Malaysia) in Tawau I reported to the local police authorities. I knew the local chief police of Tawau and the chief police of Sabah (Malaysia). I stayed one night in Tawau and crossed over the next morning to Tawi-Tawi (southern Philippines). I booked a ticket for Manila on transit to Singapore. Arriving in Manila I was able to get a seat to Singapore, at the airport in Singapore I bought a newspaper “The Straight Times” where the picture in big size of Col. Kawilarang and Col. Somba were exposed covering article of liquidation of Permesta. I was down from the airport I went straight to Prof. Sumitro’s place while handing him over the news of settlement between Col. Kawilarang and Col. Somba and Jakarta. That was the last time I saw late Prof. Sumitro. I had a last chance executing his order but through the go between of Mr. Des Alwi. At that time we all were staying in Kuala Lumpur. Mr. Des Alwi conveyed to me that Prof asked a favor.

I had to contact Mr. Tjia Kean Tie in Sinagpore. I left Kuala Lumpur after lunch. I have to go by myself and drove myself. The instructions were simple. Just contact Mr. Thai he was one of ours. He was the person who later founded P.T Astra. I arrived in the evening at Mr. Tjia’s place. After conversation about the situation he suddenly asked me whether I knew what the purpose of my visit. My answer was simple. Just meeting him. Suddenly he added a question whether I dare to carry diamonds through the custom of Malaysia from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur. They needed the stones badly in Kuala Lumpur. I did not understand his expression; I just counter act him with my question whether he trusted me. He went to his room and came back with a small black pocket. Mr. Tjia Kian Tie repeated they need them in Kuala Lumpur. I said in that case I am taking the risk.

I requested him to empty the contents of the small black pocket on the table and counted the diamonds and issued a small receipt and left. At 8 p.m I arrived at the checkpoint of the Malaysian customs. I opened the car widely and claimed nothing to declare. The inspection of the car went on smoothly and politely. The custom officer did not even bother touching the raincoat that was at the backseat. I stayed back chatting about the confrontation with the officer. The diamonds were in one of the pockets of the raincoat I put at the back seat of the car. I had to drive the whole night because Mr. Des Alwi was expecting me at 7 a.m. I was on time and handed over the small dark pocket to Mr. Des Alwi, emptied the contents on the table for counting and was given me receipt for conformation. I heard he phoned Mr. Tjia Kian Tie confirming the receipt of the diamonds. Later on I heard Mr. Des Alwi talked to Prof. That was my last involvement in Prof’s. Activities but through the go between of Des Alwi. After the settlement between Jakarta and Permesta the political situation changed rapidly. At about 1963 there was a confrontation between Indonesia and Malaysia about more or less four years. Later the dispute was settled amicably. An Indonesian representative office was opened in Kuala Lumpur headed by General Benny Murdani who was Lieutenant Colonel at that time. In his active position in the New Order I heard from him that Professor Sumitro was to be appointed minister and indeed Professor Sumitro became minister of economy in the cabinet of President Suharto and as minister of economy Professor was the person who reformed the Copra trade. In 1969 we returned to Indonesia with my family, later went in business.

During the period of his position as minister of economy I had never contacted him because I did not want to bother cause I respected him. I am writing this as a valuable memoir rectifying things like my judgment of his incapability of suffering hardships like we had undertaken as I had explained at the beginning of this writing. Back from Manado after the weapons delivery ex. Taiwan I had the opportunity explaining my misjudgment of his ability facing hardships, Prof. laughed and started his story in brief. It started during Prof’s student years told Prof. He studied in Holland. It started normally as any student life anywhere. Suddenly World War II erupted. The remittance of money became impossible, Prof. decided to work in a restaurant for his living. He became waiter during Germany occupied Holland. This profession made him tough and as capable of facing any situation. And at the same time he joined the underground activities in Holland at that time against Germany. This was his explanation arriving in Manado after the flight of weapons delivery from Taiwan. Permesta was granted abolition of mistakes by Jakarta. I was roaming about north Sulawesi to start business. I was even involved in logging with my younger brother.

When I was in Gorontalo for forestry I acknowledged through newspapers that the famous economic Professor Sumitro has passed away. After the last meeting in Kuala Lumpur I had never met him again, it seemed to be that our last meeting in Kuala Lumpur was parting forever. I often use to recall with gratitude the opportunity given to me by late Professor Sumitro, which to my consideration I had executed with full responsibility and integrity. By experience is it understood that every endeavor goes with the saying “man exposes God disposes” My identification is known by General Prabowo Subianto, the eldest son of the late Professor Doctor Sumitro Djojohadikusumo. The sympathetic approach of Prof. Sumitro towards PRRI/Permesta was solely based on his anxiety to the growing influence of Partai Komunis Indonesia (PKI) on the Indonesian central government proved justified by the communist uprising in Indonesia on September 30th 1965. This is the portrait of a man lived with the principles whom I underestimated his ability for going through hardships because of judging his highly social standing as former Minister.

Concluding this Epistle I dare to guarantee that during all his political undertakings late Professor Sumitro always instructed and reminded to us time and again the danger of world communism, which was the cause of the steady progress of the PKI in Indonesia. I dare to declare that during the period of his undertakings late Professor Doctor Sumitro has never denounced the structural identity of NKRI. As a clear example late Prof. Sumitro was contacted by a certain quarter for the formation of a new political league based on federative bases between PRRI-PERMESTA-ACEH-KAHAR MUZAKAR and TII JAWA BARAT. Professor Doctor Sumitro directly formulated a cable and asked me to send it to Col. Kawilarang/ Col. Somba, advising them not to pay any attention to these unhealthy set up. Right afterwards came a very spontaneous reply to Prof cable from Col. Kawilarang/ Col. Somba appreciating Prof’s cable that PERMESTA was not joining said federative set up. Few months later a peace talk was established, structural understanding between TNI and PERMESTA was established ending misunderstandings and enemites. Right after reeducation and training and selection ex PERMESTA soldiers were given the chance to be on duty side by side with TNI soldiers. Later on these discrimination was abandoned. I have always regarded late Professor Doctor Sumitro Djojohadikusumo as an economic Wizard but in life he had shown potentials as a brilliant leader. The aim of this Epistle is to request the attention of his family whenever they are going to write a book of his life may they please insert phrases of this Booklet which may be considered worth while. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.